Wednesday, February 16, 2011

The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood

The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood by Howard Pyle: Book CoverTitle: The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood
Author: Howard Pyle
Publisher: Penguin Group
Publication Date: September 2005
Genre: Classic Literature
Pages: 416

By rights, this is the book I should have launched the blog with. This is the book that started and solidified my love of reading at a very young age. When I was eight years old (way back in 1973) I had seen the Erroll Flynn version of the movie on television with my grandfather. As we were watching it, I said something to the effect of "This would make a great book." Little did I know that my grandfather told Santa Claus (a.k.a. Mom) and the hardcover version of the book was waiting for me under the Christmas tree. Yes, it was gloriously illustrated but it was complete and unabridged, and quite daunting for an eight year old (it was written in the dialect of the days of olde). So much so, that I took some of the Christmas money from my grandparents and bought my first dictionary.

I think the greatest effect this book had on me is it taught me lessons of compassion, honor, bravery,and loyalty. Even though they were outlaws, Robin Hood and his Merry Men stood for a just cause, the downtrodden and the oppressed. They were willing to fight for what is right and do so to their last breath if need be. I not only read this book, I lived it. I felt as though I was there with them as they fought, loved and lived.

I re-read this book every five years or so. Partly for nostalgia's sake, but a bigger part to remind me of those lessons I learned very long ago.

5 out of 5 stars    
Re-readable factor of 5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment