Friday, February 25, 2011

All The President's Men

Title: All The President's Men
Author: Carl Bernstein & Bob Woodward
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Publication Date: 1975; Re-issue 2005
Genre: History
Pages: 480

When I was a kid, there were two news stories that really got me interested in watching the nightly news. The first was the Moon Landing with Neil Armstrong. The other was the Watergate Scandal. If you think of it, both stories changed our world. The first showed us that we can do anything as long as we put our minds to it. The second showed us that we really have to be careful in who we trust.

I remember the morning headlines in our newspaper during the Watergate Scandal. I also remember my father taking the time to explain to me what the Watergate Scandal entailed and what it meant to our nation.

In high school, I read All The President's Men for my senior history class (I wanted some extra credit to bump up my grade, and it impressed the teacher that I chose something so contemporary). I re-read it in college, and one other time after college for pleasure reading. Yes, it is that good!

All The President's Men starts with a simple investigation into a burglary at the Democratic headquarters. It then snowball's into a tale of conspiracy and dirty tricks, that inevitable brings down a president. Woodward and Bernstein, reporters for the Washington Post do an incredible job relating the story that changed the way we look at politics and our presidents.

4 out of 5 stars (just because it ends abruptly and open ended)
Re-readable factor of 5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment