Thursday, March 17, 2011

Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader

Title: Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader
Author: James Luceno
Publisher: Del Rey Books
Publication Date: June 2006
Genre: Science Fiction
Pages: 368

I've been a Star Wars geek since I first saw it in the theater back in 1977. Please note I said geek and not super geek or super freak. I do not know every aspect of Star Wars trivia. However, what I do know, I enjoy very very much. I will even go on the record as saying I enjoy ALL of the movies. My favorite character from the moves has been and always will be Darth Vader. Who wouldn't want to be a universal bad ass that has the power of the dark side at his disposal? Ever since I first saw him on the screen entering a smoke filled hallway and non-chalantly looking at the dead rebels at his feet, I was a fan. Episodes I-III answered the questions of how he became Darth Vader, and who among us cannot say that the lightsaber duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan was not the most exciting we've seen in the series? But lets face it, putting on the life supporting armor and having the power of the force does not automatically make you feared throughout the galaxy.

Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader tells you how Vader became feared through out the galaxy.

For all intents and purposes, Anakin Skywalker is dead. He is believed to have been killed with other Jedi Knights during the siege of the Jedi Temple on Coruscant. In reality, he "died" on Mustafar after a duel with his former mentor and friend Obi-Wan Kenobi. But news of these events have not travelled through out the galaxy, especially the outer rim of the galaxy. It is in the outer rim that two Jedi Masters and a Padawan are leading a bloody charge against the Separatists, and narrowly escape execution. they soon become prey and the hunter is a Sith Lord they had never heard of....Darth Vader.

What made this book a great read for me was the character development of Darth Vader. James Luceno did a fantastic job with the struggle of Darth Vader over Anakin Skywalker. Just because you take a dark path does not automatically make you a dark figure. The conflict between good and evil in Darth Vader is ever present in his first mission for the emperor (a person who is also having his doubts about his new student). As much as it is packed with all the action one would expect from a Star Wars novel, it is also filled with enough emotional turmoil to make you understand what is going on behind the mask of the man who is destined to become dreaded through the galaxy.

5 out of 5 stars
Re-readable factor of 4 out of 5

1 comment:

  1. Check your last sentence babe. I think you are missing a word? It doesn't read smoothly.

    ReplyDelete